Why Choose Us
We’re an award-winning rafting company passionate about the guest experience.
#1 – Our Guides
Safety is always our first concern, and this starts with our guides. We draw from a pool of some of the most talented guides anywhere. All of our guides have at least 5 years of guiding experience (many have more than 15) and have guided on many of the world’s most difficult whitewater rivers.
Our guides are also ‘guides’ in the truest sense of the word. Not only are they talented river runners, they truly enjoy sharing the outdoors and their outdoor experiences with others. Whether you’re a complete first-timer or someone who has boated around the world, you will be treated with respect and kindness.
#2 – The Kern River Safari Camp, our reviews, and the press
- Deep in the rugged Lower Kern River canyon, tucked between massive granite boulders, and shaded with Cottonwood and Willow, is Momentum’s Kern River Safari Camp. The camp combines near lodge-like comfort, safari-style flare, and the Kern Canyon’s Sierra Foothills ambiance to create a unique ‘glamping’ experience. And it’s location is perfect for 2-day Lower Kern Trips.. Learn what that is here.
- Our guests love our trips and you’ll see that in our reviews (and awards). Learn more here.
- When the press needs an expert we’re the go-to on snowpack and water outlook. Learn why this matters here.
#3 – And then there’s everything else too
- We pride ourselves on unparalleled personal service. From our first phone conversation until we drop you off, we go the extra mile. Hot soup on cold days and morning coffee or tea brought to your tent – not only will your river trip be the most fun, it will also be the most comfortable.
- Overall comfort: We have built a reputation for innovative and comfortable camping, unique itineraries, our attention to detail, & our overall hospitality.
- All-inclusive: including all river gear, camping gear on overnights, wetsuits, parking – you just need clothes, and if it is an overnight, a toothbrush. Learn more.
- We’re fanatical about making your pre and post-trip experience easy. Online reservations. Online photos. Online waivers. Learn why this is important here.
- We wrote the whitewater guidebook for the Kern River. We’re experts and know the river well. Learn more here.
Our Kern River Safari Camp
Deep in the rugged Lower Kern River canyon, tucked between massive granite boulders, and shaded with Cottonwood and Willow, is Momentum’s Kern River Safari Camp. The camp combines near lodge-like comfort, safari-style flare, and the Kern Canyon’s Sierra Foothills ambiance to create a unique ‘glamping’ experience. The location is also perfect – top to bottom, the Lower Kern river travels 19.24 miles. Our camp is located at mile 11 perfect for our Two Day Lower Kern rafting trips.
After floating into camp in the mid-afternoon you will be taken to one of the camps shaded, walk-in tents. All tents are equipped with comfortable cots, bedding, and a private deck. This will be your home for the afternoon and night. After getting settled in you can spend the afternoon playing lawn games, hiking, or taking in the river and canyon views from the yoga deck. Or, if the whitewater was enough excitement for the day, you can choose to nap in a hammock, or pull up a stool at the river lounge, have a drink, and watch the water swirl by.
It is extremely unique to the Kern and in the U.S.
Reviews and Awards
In 2021 & 2020, we were ranked within the top 10% of all companies on Tripadvisor and earned a Travelers’ Choice Award.
2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 we were awarded the Certificate of Excellence.
Click the icons above to read our reviews
The press likes working with us because we give them the exact data on snowpack. If it’s a Big Water year, we tell them. Low water year, we tell them. Medium water year…well, you get the point. This is important because translating snowpack to our rafting season outlook can be confusing. And for some rafting companies, it’s tempting to stretch the truth on what’s up in the mountains. We don’t do that and never have done that. Because of this, it’s resulted in a good relationship with the press where they trust us for our expert insight.
We don’t charge rental fees for day trip items like helmets, splash jackets, wetsuits or GoPro accessories and mounts. And on overnight trips we don’t charge for camping gear or any photos that our photographers have taken. And parking at our river center is always free. You just need clothes and if it is an overnight, a toothbrush.
*An important note, we do have a rental fee for wetsuit booties. Shoes or sandals with a heel strap are required on all rafting trips. We assume everyone has a pair of shoes (sneakers, old running shoes work excellent) and we give you plenty of heads up on this so no one should be caught unaware.
Online reservations. Online waivers. Online photos. Being a group organizer shouldn’t be a headache. We’ve pushed everything online which means group organizers no longer have to worry about printing and signing waivers. Or calling in to confirm a reservation. Or wondering what happened to their burned CD of photos. Our pursuit of efficiency is why we’ve had shout-outs or features in TechCrunch, Zapier, and other tech publications.